Re: gEDA-user: More flexible rotated text for 1.6.0, font-sizes etc..

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 6:32 PM, Peter Clifton<pcjc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Any objections to removing the 0,90,180,270 limits to rotated text?
>
> http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~pcjc2/geda/screenshots/gschem_rotated_text.png
>
> Need to teach the print output to handle it of course, but that
> shouldn't be too hard.
>
> The only grief comes with the currently magic behaviour at 180 degrees,
> which basically resets to 0 degrees rotation, and flips the anchor point
> to the opposite corner of the text box.
>
> I'm thinking that it should be possible to seamlessly transform any old
> schematic which used a 180 degree rotation on load (based on file-format
> version number).

Well when ever making symbols i have the fun task of rotating then
flipping and whatnot to get the anchor exactly where I wanted it.
It's a PAIN   I rather have left right and center justified and top
middle bottom alignment as an option to the text field with out
"automatic" is this what you meant.......

> Font sizes give some grief as well. It would be nice if the on-screen
> font size matched the print font - which means that I drop the magic
> constant in o_text.c to "1.0" - matching the font's size in points to
> the requested font size in the file-format. (The old gEDA font is about
> 1.3x taller than it claims to be).

I say have an option that would be never, ask, always,  the bump up
for old files based on version number.  what would the save behavior
be?

> Since auto-magically bumping people's text sizes on load (which will no
> doubt include some rounding), seems like an "evil" thing to do, I'm
> considering the idea of adding a couple of adjustment processes:
>
> 1. Within gschem - possibly via some nasty popup dialog / wizard when
> you load an old file.
>
> 2. Command line based - so old designs can be (if desired) batch
> updated.
>

> Or.. we could just declare that we don't really care about updating
> users' schematics. In any case, I'm tempted to bump the shipped symbol
> library font sizes - to give consistent before/after on-screen
> rendering.
>
> Or.. do we accept the on-screen shrinkage, and place greater value on
> consistency of .ps printed output from existing schematics?

When working with old files on newer gschems what do we do, save an
edited old schematic?