Re: gEDA-user: More flexible rotated text for 1.6.0, font-sizes etc..

On Tue, 2009-06-09 at 17:38 +0200, Stefan Salewski wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-06-09 at 15:41 +0100, Peter Clifton wrote:
>

> > Screen and print _must_ match, and that means fixing this at 1.3.
> > I don't want to add an option to adjust the combined scaling, since this
> > just gives too many degrees of freedom.
> >

> I have always used the default scaling for gEDA 1.4.3, which means text
> on paper is smaller than on screen.
>
> And I think there is a good reason for this: Printers have high
> resolution, so small text is still readable. Screen has (currently)
> lower resolution, so small text would become unreadable. I use the
> defaults, so text size related to symbol graphics looks good in
> printout. On screen text looks not so good, sometimes it touches the
> graphics. But I can read it good, most times without zooming. To get
> nice results I have to set the alignment mark of the text right.
>
> So there may be a benefit for different sizes.

It would be worth trying the cairo_experiment branch of my repository
now. It hard-codes the proposed changes, and has nicer text rendering
than you're probably used to in gEDA 1.4.3. They simply aren't
comparable. If you want smaller printed output, you should be able to
lower the text size in the schematics and retain readability.

With an unchanged schematic, the printed size of your text will increase
by 30%, whilst on-screen size will decrease in width (but not height).

git clone git://repo.or.cz/geda-gaf/pcjc2.git

Then you'll want to step into the directory that created and:
git checkout -b cairo_experiment origin/cairo_experiment

Then build as usual.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,