Re: gEDA-user: Soldering supplies

I use the standard 60/40 (or 63/37) lead-based solder, with a flux
pen.  The solder I picked is 0.020" diameter flux core, which is kinda
small but for the SMT parts I work on (0603, 0.5mm) it's just right.

You have to choose between water-clean and no-clean.  No-clean is
better for hand soldering, since you don't have to clean it, but two
caveats: First, it conducts some electricity, and acts like a 300k
resistor between adjacent traces.  Don't use it for high-impedance
analog stuff.  Second, it's harder to clean off when you *do* want to
clean it, like off stencils or sensitive analog stuff.  Water-clean,
however, must (should?) be cleaned off after soldering.

You'll want some copper desoldering braid.  I'm trying some 0.050",
which seems about right, although a little smaller might be more
appropriate for the parts I deal with.  It comes with or without flux;
get "with" - I got without and I find myself fluxing my desoldering
braid to get it to work well.