Re: gEDA-user: Soldering supplies

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 02:35:01PM -0400, John Luciani wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 11:24 AM, Frank Miles<fpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Since DJ mentioned impedance level concerns associated with different kinds
> > of flux: please note that the flux pen shown in John Luciani's generally
> > excellent recommendations leads to seriously low electrical conductivity.
>
> It is definitely aggressive. You really need to clean the board often with hot
> water and a brush. I also keep isopropyl alcohol and a brush on my bench.
>
> I have had a few circuits come back to life after a good cleaning. Now I
> take a break every hour or so and clean. Also gives my eyes and back
> a break ;)

I'll second (third?) everything that was said.  Every time I've tried to
skimp on washing after using a Kester flux pen I've regretted it.  I use
hot water, dish soap and a toothbrush, followed by compressed air to speed
the drying.  Where I used to work we had a can of some kind of solvent that
worked faster and dried faster but I never bought any myself.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD
<ben@xxxxxxx>