Re: gEDA-user: Investigating gEDA for commercial use

On Saturday 13 June 2009 14:00:52 Chris Smith wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We are looking for a new set of EDA tools at work and have investigated
> both CadStar and Altium so far.  I have asked my boss to consider gEDA,
> on the basis that it probably does 95% of what we need it to and it may
> be cheaper to pay for/sponsor development of missing features than the
> cost of the alternative tools.

There are a number of electronics/electrical engineering consultants who I am
aware of who use gEDA professionally, so this isn't unreasonable.

> First, are there any experienced gEDA users around the south coast of
> England who would be amenable to giving us a demonstration of the gEDA
> tools and workflow?  (I've only recently started to dabble with it and
> can't really do it justice.)

Both Peter Clifton and myself are based in Cambridge at the moment, and I am
moving to the Woking/Guildford area in a fortnight's time.

> Second, are there any developers who would consider taking on paid
> development of features?  Obviously I don't know what those features may
> yet be, however I can say that not all of us use Linux, so at the least
> we would need:
>
> 1. a maintained Windows binary installer; and

Have you considered either running Ubuntu in a VM as an intermediate measure,
or using something like Citrix to run the tools on a remote server but access
them from a Windows desktop? All of the IC design companies I've worked for
have relied extensively on Unix-based microelectronics CAD packages, accessed
over e.g. VNC from Windows-based workstations.

> 2. some simple GUI project/workflow manager -- can't really expect the
> Windows users to manually edit project files and use the command line.

Have you tried xgsch2pcb? For the schematic to PCB workflow, it works pretty
well. On the other hand, it relies on D-Bus, which might make it harder to use
on Windows.

Regards,

                                       Peter

--
Peter Brett
Cambridge University Engineering Department