gEDA-user: gsch2pcb hangs in m4 - how to get more info to debug

I'm running gsch2pcb from a very recent build (pulled from git within
the last few days) along with an older version of PCB & libs. I've put a
link to the older PCB share directory into the new geda/share area. When
invoked, I get the following output:

<snip>
Using the m4 processor for pcb footprints
/usr/bin/m4:stdin:88: bad expression in eval: /2

after which the process hangs with the CPU maxed out.

Is there any way I can find out more details about what it was doing
when it hit that bad expression so I can debug? I've tried the -v option
but that doesn't appear to give any more information.

Thanks,

Eric