Re: gEDA-user: Footprints with mounting holes

On Mon, 2009-06-15 at 10:27 +0100, Andy Fierman wrote:
> Add the pins to the symbol, name them as already suggested and then in
> schematic add one of the not connected symbols
> (nc-bottom/left/right/top-1.sym in the "Misc unsorted symbols"
> library) to each pin.
>
> That should ensure that all the pins in the symbol and the footprint
> then match but the nc symbols stop them all being connected together.
>
> Of course, you may want them all connected to ground or some other
> rail but if the pins are there, you can connect them as you like.
>
>          Andy.

This info about the nc symbols is new for me -- I was thinking that they
are only for visual purposes. Are they magic?

I think pins or pads of a footprint with the same name are always
electrically connected in PCB. Pins or Pads for which there is no
identical pinname in a gschem schematic symbols remain unconnected to
other copper. (Additional there are the unplated holes, which have no
copper and can not connect to something.)

If the nc symbols really have any magic -- is there a description about
this in the wiki?

Best regards

Stefan Salewski