Re: gEDA-user: Investigating gEDA for commercial use

On Saturday 13 June 2009, Chris Smith wrote:
> so at the least
> we would need:

You left out a need far more important than either you
mentioned:

A painless migration path, both ways.

This is the bi-directional file translator system I have been
pushing.

Painless migration means:

1. Try it without making a commitment.
2. Open geda files with CadStar,Altium,Pads,Orcad,kicad,etc.
3. Open Cadstar, etc, files with geda.
4. ability to start a project with one, finish with another.

Now, to comment on the ones you suggested:

> 1. a maintained Windows binary installer; and

Nobody here is opposed to it.  Somebody needs to do it, and make
a commitment to maintaining it.  How about you?

> 2. some simple GUI project/workflow manager -- can't really
> expect the Windows users to manually edit project files and
> use the command line.

If you think a GUI is the solution, you are missing the point.
A truly good project/workflow manager will sit in the
background, invisible, and magically do what you need.

We have had a dozen or so attempts at a GUI so far.  None of
them have really worked well because they all miss the point.

Schematic, layout, netlist, and others are just alternative
views of the same object.  If you need to manually do anything
to go from one to another within the system, it isn't working.

I don't see what is so hard about "gschem foo.sch".  I don't see
how those project managers make it any easier, but their
complexity is like a complexity that windows users have seen
before and already been hardened to.  There is a real problem
here that we are not addressing.