Re: gEDA-user: Handling odd solder paste shapes

On Jun 25, 2009, at 9:39 AM, DJ Delorie wrote:
>> What's the command to do this?
>
> File->Export
>
> If you export gerber or postscript, you get them by default.

"By default" is a bit of a stretch.

I mean, holy crap-- I've built dozens of designs and thousands of
circuit boards with PCB, but I have *never* seen a paste layer
generated (until just now when I went hunting for it-- since you said
it could be done).

There is *no mention* of how to generate a paste layer in the PCB
documentation, nor in the PCB tips.  Yes, I looked.   (There is
mention of what appeared to be a vestigial flag, but no hint of how to
use it.)

So... I had long ago come to the conclusion that PCB simply did not
support solder paste layers.  And so I completely avoided using PCB
for designs that involved surface-mount parts.     From everything I
could see, surface-mount support was only for "hobby" use since there
wasn't any way to generate a paste layer.

And since the solder paste layer is *not* generated by default, but
*only* when there are surface mount parts, I wouldn't have found it at
all, except that you mentioned it today.

So... Maybe it would be worth adding some mention of it in the
documentation?