Re: gEDA-user: RFC: Towards a better symbol/package pin-mapping strategy (was: Re: slotting and power pins)

On Jun 28, 2009, at 10:26 AM, Bill Gatliff wrote:

> As a "mostly software" guy,

Taking this as you can code some scripts up......
Here is one approach for you to try.

pick a small set of some chips you care about.  lets say a large
family of the AVR series.

To the symbol:
	Add a virtual pin attribute
	Add the pin map file attribute.

example

snippet from a symbol.

T 3000 9800 8 10 1 1 0 6 1
refdes=U?
T 400 9950 8 10 0 0 0 0 1
device=ATmega16
T 400 10150 8 10 0 0 0 0 1
footprint=TQFP44_10
T 400 10400 8 10 0 0 0 0 1
pinmap=ATmega16.fpm
P 2600 100 2600 300 1 0 0
{
T 2650 200 5 8 1 1 0 0 1
pinnumber=?
T 2650 200 5 8 0 1 0 2 1
pinseq=1
T 2600 450 9 8 1 1 0 3 1
pinlabel=Reset
T 2600 600 5 8 0 1 0 3 1
pintype=in
T 2600 850 5 8 0 1 0 3 1
virtualpin=reset
}

snippet from pinmap.   oops the examples weren't different...... :-P
so I faked data DON'T make a part with this fakery!

device=ATmega16
footprint=TQFP44_10
{
#	virtual pin, footprint pin [, pin type]
	reset, 4
	xtal2, 7
	AD10, 35
}
footprint=MLF44
{
#	virtual pin, footprint pin[, pin type]
	reset, 4
	xtal2, 10
}
#fake
footprint=TQFP64
{
	reset, 6
	xtal2, 10
	AD10, 35
	?, 44, nc     #  Here pin 44 has no name, and is a no connect pin.
}
footprint=PDIP28
{
	reset, 2
	xtal2, 4
	AD10, ?, na    # here ADC 10 was ommited from this part to fit it in
the smaller package
}

Now with this groundwork you can run a script that will update the
schematic page's symbols with mapped pins.

To do this you will probably need to embed the symbols into the
schematic first.  Then map the pin numbers from ? to the real pin
numbers.

We would probably need to add the pintypes of nc for no connect and na
for not available, to allow for parts that have fewer pin packages,
and no connects in larger packages.

Got some code game?

Steve