Re: gEDA-user: spNet v0.9.2 released

A.Burinskiy wrote:
> John,
>
> Could you please explain in detail, what does your comment mean?

Start with http://www.brorson.com/gEDA/SPICE/intro.html

It is useful to disable gnetlist hierarchy traversal as described in
http://archives.seul.org/geda/user/Nov-2008/msg00487.html

Then, set up your makefile to turn each subcircuit schematic into a
circuit file. A handy rule might be:

%.cir : %.sch
    gnetlist -q -g spice-sdb -I --nomunge -o $@ $^

Then, maybe assemble the combined file as follows:

CIRCUITS=top.cir sub1.cir sub2.cir

combined.cir : $(CIRCUITS)
    cat $(CIRCUITS) >combined.cir

So, when you type "make combined.cir" you'll update subcircuit files as
necessary and combine them into the final product. This is especially
useful when additional processing (e.g. spicepp.pl) is needed and when
some subcircuits are generated by some other tool than gnetlist. Simple
and extremely flexible.

This is a stripped-down version of the more elaborate flow I use for IC
design, and may require tweaking for your flow. But the important thing
is that it's easy to customize: you're not trapped by the decisions
somebody else made to support *their* flow. That's the gEDA way. That's
why gEDA is so much better than other packages.

> /* Note that there was never any serious difficulty doing this with gnetlist -g spice-sdb and a makefile.
> */
>
> Thanks,
> Alex.
>
> On 06/30/2009 11:48 AM, John P. Doty wrote:
>
>> Anthony Shanks wrote:
>>

>>> http://spnet.code-fusion.net
>>>
>>> More of a beta/trial release, but I've done considerable testing with
>>> both my symbol libraries and the default gEDA libraries and everything
>>> for the most part seems smooth. For those of you who aren't familar
>>> with spNet, it's a spice netlister for gEDA that can netlist
>>> hierarchical schematics using the spice .subckt directive (which are
>>> easier to read and simulate faster).
>>>

>> Note that there was never any serious difficulty doing this with
>> gnetlist -g spice-sdb and a makefile.
>>

>>>   It also has many more features
>>> detailed in the documentation (up to date now on the homepage). If
>>> anybody has any questions or any issues with spNet let me know.

John Doty      Noqsi Aerospace, Ltd.
http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx