Re: gEDA-user: gnetlist (was: Perl)

On Jun 1, 2011, at 2:05 AM, DJ Delorie wrote:

>> Why have a core at all? One of the issues with the current gnetlist
>> is that it cannot be ported to a different Scheme implementation,
>> because the core is Guile-specific. Why not start from Scheme
>> functions for reading/writing .sch format?
>
> I never said the core had to be C, but given we already have an
> official "how to read a .sch" in C,

Not really. We have code to read a .sch that's tangled with other core code.

> it makes sense to use that library
> - somehow.

Who's volunteering to make this usable?

>  For the PCB case, I suspect PCB will produce a scheme
> script that the backend can just run to "load" its data.  Perhaps a
> sch2scm helper program is in order?

Can't be written using the present core, because the required raw data is inaccessible.

> By "The Core" I meant "the program called gnetlist, which loads the
> design files and runs the backend".  Even if you turn that around and
> have "the core" be some library that handles the overhead of
> initializing a netlister, it's still some minimum amount of overhead
> that needs to be done every time.
>
> Basic housekeeping - parsing the command line, loading the .config and
> finding the backend/library locations, reading design files, etc. -
> always need to be done.

gnetlist's command line parsing is thoroughly encrusted with barnacles: it gets in the way more than it helps. The other stuff is scripted in Scheme, and it seems to me that it would be much cleaner and simpler if it wasn't dependent on the core C code.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx