Re: gEDA-user: Fixing the attribute censorship bug

On Jun 1, 2011, at 7:58 PM, Peter Brett wrote:

> John Doty <jpd@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>>   On May 31, 2011, at 11:02 PM, Peter Brett wrote:
>
>>> This script deliberately poisons the netlist.
>>
>> Exactly. This is consistent with other gnetlist behavior. If no
>> attribute is found, the resulting value is "unknown". So, I think
>
> Yes, and that behaviour is broken too.  If no attribute is found, no
> value should be returned.

I think that would be a severe burden on projects using heavy symbols. One often needs attributes that apply to only a subset of components, or are to be chosen downstream. "unknown" is a fine indicator.

>  The only reason we can't do that at the
> moment is that the file format doesn't support removing an attribute.

I don't understand. (gnetlist:get-package-attribute) could easily return '() or #f if you wish. What does the file format have to do with this?

> Let's not overload the config files with even more attack vectors for
> malicious designs.  Some sort of plugin system?

I have no idea what you mean. As you know well, we have three flavors of command line plugins, loaded with -l, -g, and -m. In particular, we have -l and -m because the order in which things are defined matters. We can also load plugin code from a config file, but in this case that's too early to evaluate the definitions. I thought you were asking for the possibility to load this kind of plugin from a config file. This would require additional support, to allow a config file to specify a list of expressions to be evaluated later. It would be almost trivial to add such support to gnetlist-post.scm, if that was desired.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx