Re: gEDA-user: âsymversionâ documentation update

On Fri, 03 Jun 2011 19:32:46 +0200
Kai-Martin Knaak <knaak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Colin D Bennett wrote:
> > I always add symversion=1.0 to my custom symbols because (1)
>
> Unfortunately, I did not since a few months ago. Now, that I started
> using the symversion gschem throws unnecessary warnings at me. It
> seems to interprete the appearance of a symversion symbol where there
> has none been before as a "major version change". Sorry, but it's
> not. Starting a version series does not constitute a change of
> versions.
> The harm of this statement in the documenation is clear: It made me
> omit  symversion attributes in my symbol library. Now, I have to deal
> with the above update pains.

So it sounds like the recommendation should be in fact *to* add the
symversion= attribute to all symbols, to prevent this type of confusion.

> Some more attributes with missing/doubtful/oudated description are
>    device --> what component uses this attribute for what purpose?

Is âdeviceâ used for simulation purposes?  It sort of seems like it is
to specify the general type of a device, i.e., NPN TRANSISTOR, etc.
At least what I have been doing is to add device= as a hidden attribute
specifying the general type of the symbol (e.g., âRS-485 TRANSCEIVERâ),
and add value= as a visible attribute (for most types of symbols, such
as connectors and ICs) giving the specific device (e.g., âSP3075Eâ).

>    pinseq --> restricted to integers?
>    numslots --> if there is no slotting gnetlist is fine without this

I still add numslots=0 to all symbols (I have never used slots yet...
I'm confused about how to do so), because I read at one time that it
was required... now it is sort of a superstition because I don't know
why I'm doing it!

> > How about replacing the symversion section with the following,
> > updated text:
>
> +1
> The section on promotion and consequences of a change are
> particularily important.

I can update the wiki with this change after a while if there are no
objections or suggestions for improvements.

Regards,
Colin