Re: gEDA-user: ‘symversion’ documentation update

On Jun 3, 2011, at 1:49 PM, Colin D Bennett wrote:

> Is ‘device’ used for simulation purposes?

In at least some flows, yes. The spice-sdb back end to gnetlist attempts to determine if it needs to prepend a key letter to the device to select the correct SPICE primitive. You can turn this behavior off with --nomunge: that's what I usually do, since I find the heuristics here often guess wrong.

>  It sort of seems like it is
> to specify the general type of a device, i.e., NPN TRANSISTOR, etc.
> At least what I have been doing is to add device= as a hidden attribute
> specifying the general type of the symbol (e.g., “RS-485 TRANSCEIVER”),
> and add value= as a visible attribute (for most types of symbols, such
> as connectors and ICs) giving the specific device (e.g., “SP3075E”).

There is no universal convention in gEDA practice for what the "device" attribute indicates.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx