Re: gEDA-user: Blog post: Porting gEDA to Guile 2.0, and future plans

On Sun, 2011-06-05 at 21:53 -0400, Dan McMahill wrote:

> has anyone tried to compile against gtk3?

Yes - and the answer is we cannot ;)

I can revive my attempt at some point, and propose we proceed as
follows:

Identify widgets / UI elements which use deprecated APIs or direct
structure access forbidden in GTK 3.0.

For each identified area, do a brief code and UI design review to see
whether the quality of the existing code and user interface is worth
spending effort on, or needs to be redesigned.

If the UI and basic code is solid, fix up the GTK 2.0 / 3.0
incompatibilities as directly as possible. (No need to re-write these as
fully developed widgets with data access via GObject properties and
notification via signals if they aren't already so).

If the UI is bad, redesign a replacement (coding in line with best
practice GTK 3.0 styles), basically from scratch.

If the UI is ok but depends on completely deprecated widgets or is
generally hateful - write it again from scratch.

The aim should not really be to hack hack hack until we "just" compile
with GTK 3.0, but to do a complete UI review - focusing on the most
legacy code first.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,