gEDA-user: Hierarchy help

OK- I've been messing around with hierarchy for the first time, but I'm a bit lost. I've got an asymmetric phase leg inverter with three phases, for which I was planning to use hierarchy to make updating components more resistant to operator error. I have a sub-sch file and a symbol file and it works as it should, for which I followed the "gTAG" example that ships with gEDA.

My problem then comes when I try to create the PCB. Components there take on the refdes "A/D?", as opposed to "A/D1", "A/D2", etc. I did run across http://www.bourbonstreetsoftware.com/GEDABlocks.html, but I was hoping to find something a bit more automatic. My Bing-fu and Google-fu have failed me, as well.

My gnetlistrc file consists of:
(hierarchy-netattrib-mangle "disabled")
(hierarchy-netname-mangle "disabled")
(hierarchy-uref-mangle "disabled")

What obvious thing (or reference material) am I missing?

Thanks,
Ethan