Re: gEDA-user: gschem saving symbols

Josh Jordan wrote:

> What I am trying to do is save symbols that were modified in the
> schematic.  For instance, making a schematic and add a generic
> capacitor.  Then add a value, footprint, partnumber and documentation.

This does not change the symbol but adds attributes to the instance
in the schematic.

If I want to change a generic symbol I'd:

1) copy and rename the symbol to some other place with some
external tool like the bash shell, or a file browser.

2) open the symbol with gschem

3) do my changes

4) save and quit.

Alternatively:

1) copy and rename the generic symbol to some other place.

2) open the schematic and add the copied symbol

3) do down-symbol from the hierarchy menu ([shift-h s])
This opens the symbol from the lib in symbol edit mode
(not the instance in the schematic).

4) do my changes

5) save

6) do "Up" from the hierarchy menu

7) do "Update-Symbol" from the edit menu [ep]
This last step is not really necessary. The symbol will be
reread every time the schematic is opened, anyway.

If you really need to copy attributes from an instance to a
symbol in a library, you can do so by:

1) open schematic with symbol augmented by attributes

2) select the attributes to be copied

3) copy the attributes [ctrl-c]

4) open the symbol in the lib with open from the file menu [fo]

5) paste the attributes [ctrl-v] and move them to proper places

6) make the attributes visible. This will make them "promoted"
on instantiation.

7) save [fs]

Seems a bit awkward. But it is not that bad. Changing symbols
directly in your personal lib is the recommended way.

---<)kaiamrtin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak
Email: kmk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx