      From: Kai-Martin Knaak <kmk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
      Subject: Re: gEDA-user: gschem saving symbols
      To: geda-user@xxxxxxxx
      Date: Wednesday, June 15, 2011, 4:59 PM

    Josh Jordan wrote:
    > Is it possible to load a symbol into a schematic, change it up, and
    > save it as another symbol?
    yes.
    Make sure, it is placed at a path, gschem knows about. This can be
    modified in gafrc. A common setting is to include the current working
    directory:
    /----------excerpt from gafrc--------------
    ; Allow to source symbols from the current working directory
    (define current-working-directory ".")
    (component-library current-working-directory "symbols in project dir")
    (source-library  current-working-directory)
    \-------------------------------------------
    Also make sure, that the symbols name does not clash with existing
    names.
    Else, you have to worry about precedence.
    > This would be straight-forward but when you edit a symbol from a
    schematic,
    > it loads the original before it was modified so you have to make all
    of the
    > modifications again.
    You have to load the modified symbol instead.
    1) type [i] to get the symbol chooser
    2) If you are still in the same session as during the save-as: click on
    the
    funny arrow to the right of the filter entry field. This will update
    the
    cache of symbols.
    3) locate the new symbol
    4) insert as usual.
    If the change affects many symbols, it may be easier to change the
    symbol
    name in the *.sch with text editing tools like sed or gedit.
    ---<)kaimartin(>---
    --
    Kai-Martin Knaak
    Email: [1]kmk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx