      From: Ethan Swint <eswint.ramu@xxxxxxxxxxx>
      Subject: Re: gEDA-user: gschem saving symbols
      <geda-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      Date: Thursday, June 16, 2011, 8:33 AM

    On 06/15/2011 10:10 PM, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
    > Josh Jordan wrote:
    >
    >> What I am trying to do is save symbols that were modified in the
    >> schematic.  For instance, making a schematic and add a generic
    >> capacitor.  Then add a value, footprint, partnumber and
    documentation.
    > This does not change the symbol but adds attributes to the instance
    > in the schematic.
    >
    > If I want to change a generic symbol I'd:
    >
    > 1) copy and rename the symbol to some other place with some
    > external tool like the bash shell, or a file browser.

    snip
    > 4) save and quit.
    >

    > Alternatively:
    >
    > 1) copy and rename the generic symbol to some other place.
    snip
    > 7) save [fs]

    If you have symbols that are already modified with a bit of work behind
    them, locate them in the *.sch file with a text editor (search for
    refdes or description) and copy the symbol definitions to an empty
    file.  This may not work in some instances, e.g. you may need to choose
    'embed symbols' to get the full symbol definition in the sch file.
    -Ethan