Re: gEDA-user: gschem saving symbols

On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 20:55:57 -0700 (PDT)
Josh Jordan <outerspaceman81@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I could implement a save-symbol-as capability. ÂCan anyone familiar
> with gschem code outline a 'right' way to this? ÂShould I add another
> option to Hierarchy "down modified symbol" and change the other to
> "down original symbol"? ÂOr would it be better to add a 'save symbol
> as' function to the right-click menu that operates on selected
> objects? ÂShould I try not to change libgeda? Thanks,Josh Jordan

Maybe it is useful to make the distinction between a _symbol_, and the
_instance_ of that symbol in your schematic to which you have attached
new attributes.  (I think these are the terms I've heard the gschem
devs use...)

Then you could have a âSave Symbol Instance As...â to create a new
symbol file on disk containing the original symbol with your
modifications applied.

Regards,
Colin