Re: gEDA-user: gschem saving symbols

Colin D Bennett wrote:

> That's a good question... as is often the case in the gschem
> documentation, the symbol creation guide says you should always
> translate the symbol to the origin, but it does not explain why this
> is required.

On insert, the mouse cursor is at the origin of the symbol. So the graphics
will only be near the mouse if it is placed near the lower left. Other than
that I see no consequences. (Correct me, if I am wrong)

I attached a symbol that was deliberately translated a few centimeters up
and right. Try to insert it into a schematic and you see, what I mean.

Proposal: On insert, position the cursor at the sensitive point of pin
one if it exists. Else, fall back to the position of the first pin in the
symbol. If there are no pins at all, fall back to the mean position of
all objects of the symbol, rounded to the next grid point.

Rationale: The pins should be on major grid points to allow for easy
connection. So the sensitive point of a pin is a reasonable reference
point for symbol placement.

Benefit: Changed symbols won't break schematics as easily as they do now.
There is an aspect less to worry about during symbol creation.

Impact: This proposal is completely backward compatible. All existing
symbols still work. There is no change of file format either.

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak                                  tel: +49-511-762-2895
UniversitÃt Hannover, Inst. fÃr Quantenoptik      fax: +49-511-762-2211