Re: gEDA-user: first time

kqt4at5v@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I am duplicating a schematic just for practice
> I selected inductor-1.sym from Basic Devices and noticed it has no footprint

The default library is notorious for not including footprint
attributes to its symbols. This dates back to a emotional debate
more than five years ago on how ideal symbols should look like.
See the FAQ for details.
http://geda.seul.org/wiki/geda:faq-gschem#what_s_this_business_about_heavy_vs_light_symbols

The default lib has seen no substantial changes since then. Instead,
a site called http://gedasymbols.org was introduced, where users can
submit their  symbols for public access. Lately, there is an effort
to revamp the default lib of symbols and footprints. But don't hold
your breath.

> Where do I find the footprint to add to this device

1) Locate the data sheet of your inductor and look for the proposed
footprint geometry.

2a) start pcb, type [i] to open the footprint chooser. Flip through
the footprint to find something that fits your inductor component.

2b) go to http://gedasymbols.org and look for a footprint that fits.
Maybe you are lucky and somebody already uploaded a footprint specific
component.

2c) roll your own footprint.

More details at:
http://geda.seul.org/wiki/geda:pcb_tips#i_want_to_use_pcb_to_do_layout_how_do_i_know_what_va