Re: gEDA-user: RFC - gschem (resend)

On Tue, 2003-03-11 at 21:07, Ales Hvezda wrote:

> 1. The concept of attribute (or property) ownership.  For example, a net
> name attribute is 'owned' by a net object.  When a user moves a visible
> attribute, a ghost line is drawn between the basepoint of the attribute
> and the owning object.  This is useful, for example when moving a net
> name since you know which net it belongs to.
[jg]This is the highest value kind of function.  Self documenting and
easy to train on without getting in the way of experienced users.

> 2. The ability to change your selection model from 'individual' (i.e.
> what gschem has now) to 'additive'.  This would allow you to select
> multiple objects without having to constantly hold down the shift key.
> Of course an 'unselect' command would be needed as well...

[jg] this could likely be done with a different bindkey definition and
no code change.

> 4. Tool scriptability. What if gschem implemented a command set
> (presumably in scheme) and every action performed by a gschem user was
> translated into a command and then passed to the tool?
[jg] Yep.

> 5. The ability to examine the characteristics of a particular object or
> instance.
[jg]Yes.  Goes along with attributes method idea.

> 6. The ability to change the selection behavior from 'select object only
> if fully enclosed by the select box' to 'select if any portion is in the
> select box'
[jg]If this gets well implemented, then layout could be added to the
same tool as schematics easily....

> 8. Instead of doing a symbol translate to 0, how about introducing the
> concept of a symbol 'origin'.  The origin would be indicated by a
> special mark on the symbol.
[jg]I like visual mode of easy self documentation too!

> 14. Automatic versioning to a user-specified version depth.  Makes life
> a little easier if you mess something up and notice that fact after the
> fourth save!
[jg]Would be nice...

> Well, what do you think?  Any of these worth working on?

[jg]Oh yes, you bet!
John Griessen