Re: gEDA-user: Building geda under Windows

Hi Al --

> We should target the educational market.  To get there, we need=20
> to make it prettier and easier to use than the cripple ware=20
> they use now.  We have some substantial advantages in this=20
> market.  We should exploit them.

I agree with this wholeheartedly.  Moreover, I have tried to push gEDA
-- and open-source EDA in general -- at MIT & other schools around the
Boston area using the Free Dog group as the vehicle.  I have put up
ads and contacted several students and professors.  I have sent copies
of the CD to buddies at Princeton.

Unfortunately, I can't say that I have gotten any traction with the
academic set.  For example, Free Dog has had no success attracting
students.  We do have several professional EEs participating,
however.  For whatever reason, the educators are simply behind the
curve, and the pros are out front.

My questions to you are:

*  Can you think of a place (conference, magazine) where educators get
ideas about which software to use for their classes?  I could target a
conference, for example, by providing copies of the gEDA CD to
conference goers.  [1]  If there is a journal or other magazine, I (or
anybody else) can write an article.  (Al, if you have any pull in the
IEEE and know how to get an article into IEEE Spectrum, contact me off
list.)

*  You mention "make [gEDA] prettier and easier to use" as a goal.
Can you cite two or three specific things which could be made easier
to use, and would help gEDA make inroads with students?  That is, can
you identify two or three things which students find as turn-offs in
gEDA? If we have specific things to fix, we can address them pretty
quickly.

Stuart

[1]  As for a recent thread on this list urging somebody to go to San
Diego to talk about gEDA -- That was a great idea!  Unfortunately, I
live 3000 miles away from there, and have no time to take off on such
a junket.  Otherwise. I'd be happy to do it.  Or better -- I'd like to
see Ales do it!  He already has a talk prepared & is the head honcho
anyway.  However, I suspect he is also too busy.  Also, any of the PCB
developers could also give good talk at a conference.  I htink that
it's just a matter of somebody with time stepping forward and taking
the initiative.

In any event, the idea of talking about gEDA at conferences is a good
one.  Is anybody here going to a DesignCon this year?   Or maybe to
DAC?