Re: gEDA-user: Building geda under Windows

From: Al Davis <ad62@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: gEDA-user: Building geda under Windows
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 10:57:00 -0500

> > The effort of sweeten up  the application with
> > artificial sugar should rather be invested in making the
> > applications work better with each other.
>
> Absolutely!!  The down side of our tools is in how they work
> together.

Exactly!

Don't underestimate the power of a common GUI look and feel, hooks into each
other and no fuzz with hacking scripts etc. Schematics, Layout and Simulation
all need to fit together, work together and you should not even have to bother
with exporting between tools. While some people don't want to work that way,
others want to, and for students doing a few small assignments the more
streamlined it can be to have the toolchain working, the larger chance is it
that it can be used for that. By loading additional libraries etc (again in
turbo-automagic) you get into a more complete hobbyist tool and you can have
attracted the attention.

A normal EE student and an EDA hacker has different requriements on what they
want, and infact many of the EDA users will probably be more like the EE
student for many minor projects. I still can't advice non-hackers to look at
gEDA for an alternative tool.

Cheers,
Magnus