Re: gEDA-user: gEDA, where are the loadable examples?

On Sunday 13 March 2005 15:54, Stuart Brorson wrote:
>Hi Guys --
>
>Welcome to gEDA!

>> >That's simply because none of the existing gEDA users have had a
>> > need for these symbols.  What I do in this case if find a symbol
>> > that is close to the one I need and modify it.
>>
>> Possible, but the 8255 family is almost a cpu in it own right, so
>> I doubt there is anything useable other than its 40 pin 600 mill
>> dip packageing.  And 24 of those 40 pins can input, or output,
>> depending on how its mode register is programmed.  One would have
>> to write 16 variations of it and use the one corresponding to the
>> mode byte. That, as they say, makes the cheese a bit more binding.
>
>First, I think you need to distinguish between the device's symbol
>and its footprint.  The symbol is the graphic object you place on
> the schematic using gschem.  The footprint is the graphic object
> you place on the PC board using PCB.

Point taken.  Not fully understood, but taken.

>There are plenty of parts with no symbols in gEDA.  This is because
>everybody just makes their own symbol for their specific job, and
>nobody shares the symbols after that.  It's just human nature --
>sharing software is fun, sharing symbols isn't. . . .  go figure.
>Anyway, you will probably need to make your own symbol.
>
>As for the footprint, you will need to run PCB to see if it exists.
>If it's a standard symbol, it may exist.  If it's not, then you'll
>need to make it.  There is a link to a doc talking about building
> PCB symbols on this webpage:
>
>http://www.brorson.com/gEDA/

I'll be right there...  And I got the tutorial, thanks.

>Also, John Luciani has build a large number of PCB footprints; he
> put them on the web for free download here:
>
>http://www.luciani.org/geda/pcb-footprint-list.html

I'll check that too.  Well, was going to, but its not found
I do get a dir full of... found it, missing '/pcb' in the string
above :)  I dl'd  pcb-symbols-jcl.gz, which says its the whole thing
in one sock.gz.

>> How is ngspice at simulating analogue circuitry thats supposed to
>> be running in pwm mode?
>
>Probably slow -- it doesn't have the concept of event-driven
>simulation, which is very useful for simulating pwm-mode circuits.
>Try GnuCap instead.  Or download LTSpice from the Linear Tech
> website. It is Windows native (yuck!), but you can also run it
> under wine.
Humm, I'd forgotten that, seems I ran into that the last time I ran
spice-5.something or druther on my amiga a decade back.

Wine? Windows  Spit...  Partially because I've never found any windows
proggy that wine could run here, too many miss-set options in the
startups probably, but I've no real patience for windows stuff
anyway, I came up thru the ranks of machine coding an RCA 1802 board,
and a couple of z80 things, then a TI99/4a & then to a bunch of
TRS-80 Color computers running os9/nitros9 which is a lot like unix
on a 64k memory machine (2 megs if you stick all the aftermarket
goodies in it like I did), then to the big box amigas, and thence to
building my first x86 box in 97 and putting RH5.1 on it at the time.
Never, ever, had a copy of windows on the premises.  But I'll go
lookup gnuCap and see if its useable by an old fart (70) like me.
Hopefully its GPL'd.  ISTR I saw something go by on freshmeat in the
last few months, so I'll start there.

Many thanks again Stuart.

--
Cheers, Gene