gEDA-user: ground planes and thermals

i would like to have a ground plane on one whole side of my pcb, with
thermals connecting the actual grounded pins to the plane, and
isolation pads making sure no connections are made for non grounded
pins.  do i have to draw a huge rectangle on my ground plane layer?
im not sure i understand how thermals work in pcb either.  are
isolation pads taken care of automatically?

side note:  how can i get vias incorporated into my netlist?  i can't
seem to lay a via without it looking "wrong" as far as pcb is
concerned.

thanks alot!
handsome greg