Re: gEDA-user: Obsolete Pin syntax in pcb-cvs.pdf

DJ Delorie wrote:
There are a couple of different ways to specify pads.  The
documentation shows you one of them; your file uses a newer one.

The newest format is (from src/parse_y.y):

The manual is also explicit about this:

"As Pcb has evolved, the file format has changed several times to accommodate new features. Pcb has always been able to read all older versions of the .pcb file. This allows the migration of older designs to newer versions of the program. Obviously older versions of Pcb will not be able to properly read layout files stored in newer versions of the file format.

In practice it is very common for footprint libraries to contain elements which have been defined in various versions of the Pcb file format. When faced with trying to understand an older element file or layout file, the best approach is to examine the file src/parse_y.y which is the definitive definition of the file format."

At some point I may get around to finding a way to extract a .texi file from parse_y.y. I'm not likely to try and manually keep pcb.texi in sync with parse_y.y. On that topic.... anyone have a nice example of a grammar in BNF form formatted in texinfo?

-Dan