Re: gEDA-user: A Suggestion FOR Karel

On Sun, Feb 26, 2006 at 04:43:20PM -0500, Ales Hvezda wrote:
> >Quote from Lucas Vogelsang <lucasvo@xxxxxx> a few days ago on this list:
> >/--------------
> >|I don't know why you don't have one, but I think it would be a big
> >| help. If you don't have time/serverspace/knowledge/whatever, I can
> >| help you set one up.
> >| lucas
> >\-----------
> >
> >So he applied for the job as geda bug tracking manager. It seems to me,
> >that he even offered serverspace.
> >

> Ehrm, "I can help you set one up" is quite different from "I am going to
> serve as the geda bug tracking manager and maintain the server/software".
> I can set one up too, but I don't want to maintain it.
>
> Not to criticize or complain about Lucas' offer (thanks btw), but I've
> seen offers like this before many times and historically I haven't had
> much success in getting long term commitments.

That's exactly the same what I see on Ronja ;-)

> Basically my philosophy is if you want to contribute something/anything:
> just do it.  Don't bother asking if it is okay and don't spark flame

This is unfortunately possible only if the project's webserver is
running an exploitable version of a service and the contributor knows
how to hack a machine and get a rootshell so he can install patched
files into the download directory.

Otherwise it requires second half - cooperation of the developers. For
example, Mikulas Patocka had this problem on Linux kernel. He fixed
several serious bugs and his patches were ignored, although he sent them
repeatedly.

I am slowly starting to suspect that PCB is also one of these projects
because I sent a patch and didn't even get a reply whether it will be
used ot not, set apart being actually applied.

That's why people ask before they commit themselves.

CL<