Re: gEDA-user: challenge from sci.electronics.cad

ldoolitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 11:18:52PM -0500, Randall Nortman wrote:
Right......... gimmee the names of some well known companies using gEDA
on serious, mission critcal projects????

Companies don't use gEDA. People use gEDA. 1/2 :-)
I would imagine that lots of small companies who do work for *very* large companies
use gEDA. I know we use gEDA at work and further, the 80% of our customers are
fortune 500 companies. With that said, having a debate/argument over who is using
gEDA is waste of time (At least, IMO).

Most people who find gEDA difficult to use do not understand the work flow and/or the
utility programs that glue the different applications together. It has been my experience
that it is these same people who say no one is using gEDA (Or they are Microsoft trolls
looking for a place to insert some fud and should be ignored). Regarding users who
can't or won't figure out how the work flow and/or utilities that facilitate the work flow in
gEDA - This is the group that needs a work flow framework with a GUI interface.

A lot of users of gEDA may say these people are lazy and don't want to take the time to
figure out how to get data from one program to another. In fact, with a certain percent of
this group, I am sure this is true. However, the employees of most businesses do
not have the time to figure it out - If they are any good at what they do, their plate is already
full and the learning curve for gEDA is steep in comparison to commercial programs that
have a work flow framework with a GUI.

OTOH, once one person in the business is familiar with how gEDA works, mentoring
usage is a no brainer.

Best

Marvin