Re: gEDA-user: basic anti-EMI design q

On Friday 24 March 2006 05:04, Bill Sloman wrote:
>At 05:21 24-3-2006, you wrote:
>>DJ Delorie wrote:
>>>It's not the drivers that mess up, it's the octal latch.
>>
>>if the existing latch is in the interface with ribbon cable to the
>>PC  - there's your problem.
>
>Have you grounded every second wire in the ribbon cable? It sounds
>extravagant, but if you need shielding, that's a commonly used way of
>getting it. It also means that the residual signal wires look like
>50R transmission lines.

Uhh, no.  Its more like 120 ohms, at least for the ribbon cable as built
for scsi/early ide/floppy cabling.  Hence the original terminating R
network was a 220 to the 5 volt line and a 330 to ground, which came to
132 ohms by the usual parallel r formula and was a reasonable facsimily
of what was needed obtainable by std value r's.  Actives are a much
better match and can tolerate some loses in their power supply lines,
unlike the resistor pack designs.  Thats been the major cause of all
the virgin sacrificing stories the scsi folks are wanting to quote.

This new ultrafine cabling used for the 80 pin ide cabling is as yet an
unk thing to me so it could possibly be that low.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: