Re: gEDA-user: PCB refdes selection problems

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 21:26:22 -0800, Traylor Roger wrote:

>   However, now I can almost never select a refdes and move it away from
>   the component pads.  Sometimes I am able to move one but most I
>   cannot.

In recent versions of pcb there is a setting that addresses this problem.
It makes the mouse exclusively sensitive to all kinds of text, including
refdes. Look for "Only Names" in the settings menu. It comes with a
companion which makes all text completely insensitive to mouse actions.
This is useful during placement.

> I'm using 20070912 under Ubuntu Fiesty.

I don't remember if the actions mentioned above were already in the GTK
menu in this version. However, they were already in place under the hood.
You can trigger the actions manually via the command interface -- Press
":" to get the interface, then type "ToggleOnlyNames". The other action
is "ToggleOnlyNames".

You can improve your menu if you add the following lines to the settings
section in file gpcb-menu.res

   {"Lock Names" checked=locknames Display(ToggleLockNames)}
   {"Only Names" checked=onlynames Display(ToggleOnlyNames)}

> This all worked fine before I started over.

Maybe off-grid positions make it hard to grab the text.

Hope this helps.

---<(kaimartin)>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak