gEDA-user: PCB refdes selection problems

Gang,
  I have been using PCB on a design and have just recently
  started over with a cleaned up set of footprints.

  I removed my old design.pcb, all the backups, .net and
  .new.pcb and started again.  All appeared well.

  However, now I can almost never select a refdes and move
  it away from the component pads.  Sometimes I am able to
  move one but most I cannot.  This all worked fine before I
  started over.

  Most of the elements I am attempting to move the refdes on
  are M4 generated parts, however some are mine.  Neither seems
  any better or worse.

  Is there some setting I am missing?  I've been using this
  tool with no problems for months until now.  No system changes
  or software updates have been done.  I'm using 20070912 under
  Ubuntu Fiesty.

  Thanks,
  Roger Traylor