Re: gEDA-user: [PCB] action context patch

> This was the simpler and more general change.

Simpler and more general does not always mean better.  To me, the more
general solution is to be able to add/remove single actions, with
their own context.  Other functions can build on that.  If the
internals of that code need to be changed to support that, it's a
change we need to now to avoid more work later.

Creating a new API that will never be used in its full functionality
seems wrong to me.

> I don't say the GUI should know about context, but that, as the GTK
> hid does, the GUI hid should not do this directly but call
> hid_actionv() from hid/common/actions.c.

Perhaps hid_find_action could set the global context pointer?

> I have one more layer, which is not part of this patch but the
> plugin, where I do this. My approach is doing the smallest but more
> general patch to the core and do everything else in plugins.

My approach is to create the best API in the core so that the least
amount of code need be duplicated in plugins.