Re: gEDA-user: TO-92 Best Practices

On Feb 27, 2010, at 3:57 PM, John Luciani wrote:

I use two different footprints. Both footprints have the pins inline.
  One footprint spaces the leads 1.39mm the other 2.60mm.
  The 2.60mm is the common formed lead pattern. I believe
  I used the spec from On-Semi.
  I use a finished hole size of 29mils. The fab tolerance is +-4mils.

Hey John,

Thanks for that.

Researching this a little more... Fairchild's TO-92 spec says that the leads are rectangular, 0.46mm by 0.38mm, and the diagonal there works out to 23.5 mils. With a little extra room for tolerance, yeah, a 29 mil hole sounds good.

But with 29 mil holes spaced 50 mils apart, that doesn't leave enough room for the pads and the space between. Maybe 7 mils each. So breaking away from the 50 mil grid by just a little bit and moving the outer legs 5 mils beyond allows the DRC to work.

  -- Don

--
Don Tillman
Palo Alto, California