Re: gEDA-user: TO-92 Best Practices

On Mar 1, 2010, at 7:12 PM, Mark Rages wrote:

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 5:27 PM, Donald Tillman <don@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hey folks,

What's considered Best Practices for TO-92 packages?

Redesign with SOT-23.  Easier to solder, faster than stuffing TO-92.

Sheeshe...

I probably will go to surface mount at some point. But for now I'm kicking it olde school.

This particular project uses some analog IC design styles implemented with hand-matched discrete transistors; diff amps, current mirrors and so forth. So I'd need an efficient way to hand-match surface mount transistors. With TO-92's I can just slap them into a rig and collect them into batches. Surface mount? I dunno. Do they even make SOT-23 sockets?

  -- Don

--
Don Tillman
Palo Alto, California