Re: gEDA-user: TO-92 Best Practices

On Mar 3, 2010, at 10:18 AM, al davis wrote:
Maybe they are like me and don't have the eyesight,
equipment or   dexterity to solder anything smaller than
TO92 parts?

   We've had these neat things called "magnifying glasses" on
 the   market for at least a few months now.  And when the
 proper equipment can be had for less than $100..

Along that line ...  You could get what they call "reading
glasses" from a supermarket.  Get the strongest ones they have.
They make great magnifying glasses.

You really should wear eye protection while soldering anyway.

  Hmm yes, that's a really good idea.

Personally I use a ring-light magnifier, with the circular fluorescent bulb around about a 5" magnifying lens. The one I'm using now was purchased new on eBay around 2002 for about $35.00.

For really tiny stuff, I use a Bausch & Lomb wide field stereomicroscope.

              -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL