Re: gEDA-user: Native Mac OS X?

On Mar 4, 2010, at 5:52 PM, John Doty wrote:

On Mar 1, 2010, at 4:03 AM, Dave N6NZ wrote:

Ahhh... OK, I get it. Yes, my build brings up the X server. But other than the start-up time, that doesn't bother me. X11 is preinstalled as of 10.6 (or maybe 10.5, I forget which) so the hassle factor is pretty minimal.

10.6 seems to define a $DISPLAY environment variable in a way that makes it a hook to a launcher that brings up X11.app on demand.

This feature existed in Leopard as well, but many folks had set DISPLAY in their profiles and overrode the launcher.

In 10.5 and beyond you want to not set DISPLAY in your profile.

Steve