Re: gEDA-user: solder paste output (was: Open Source mech)

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 10:02 AM, John Luciani <jluciani@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I was thinking of a post-processing script.
>
> For each footprint you would look up to see if there was a corresponding stencil
> footprint (maybe a .sfp file). If there was that would be used. If not
> then a rule would be applied to create the pattern. You could have
> specific rules for groups of components and a default rule.

It would be best to talk with your board contractor.
Most of them are going to create or change the stencil to match their
machines and processes,
regardless of what you supply them.  For example you may have to tweak
a particular small part to
get the stencil to release properly in that area.

If we are going down the stencil road, then things like Stepped
Stencils need to be handled.
Stepped Stencils are used to apply different amounts (hight) of paste
for different components,
so the Z axises needs to be considered.