Re: gEDA-user: Open Source mechanical CAD on the horizon

On Mar 10, 2010, at 4:24 AM, Peter Clifton wrote:

Solder mask aperture is important as well as pad size, since the stencil
opening probably ought never include areas which are solder-masked. It
is possible (although I'm not sure how useful) to set a partially masked pad - perhaps as some kind of heat-sink for a transistor, with a defined
mask opening.

The unixy side is coming out in me.

It sounds like we want arbitrary mask layers in the footprint.

solder paste mask
solder mask mask

Where solder mask is a negative mask and solder paste is a positive mask

Solder paste is a volumetric decision, where solder mask is area.

I propose that the footprint gets a general mask statement.

Mask[ type, polarity, linked name, shape, scale, shape coords... ]

type - specifies what type of mask it is

polarity - specifies positive or negative

linked name - associates the mask to a pin or pad, used for scaling bounds. example you wouldn't scale a solder paste mask larger than a pad it was associated with.

shape - specifies circular, rectangular, or polygon.

scale - specifies how the mask can/should be scaled.
Thoughts on scaling. volume:200pl, uses a stencil thickness specified as preference. stencil gerber gets the thickness information added.

shape coordinates - depends on shape in line.
	circle - center and radius
	rectangle - opposing corners
	poly - list of three or more points
grid - center of grid, number of columns (number across x), number of rows(number across y), grids rectangle pair
	others?
	line - endpoints and thickness

Thoughts?
Steve