Re: gEDA-user: if you people want to do it then put up the *cash*

On Monday 15 March 2010, John Griessen wrote:
>Ales Hvezda wrote:
>> 	"problem with for-pay servers is users are motivated, they help
>> 	  pay for a few months, then no more"
>> 	"so any decisions that affect $$ need to account for probably
>> 	  Ales paying for it out of pocket"
>>
>> I have absolutely no issues with removing me as a "single point of
>> failure", however, if you people want to do it then put up the *cash*,
>> time, and get some buy-in from all people doing the development work.
>
>When my friends on the metalartists.org list lost the previous server
>and I started a mailman server for them they donated money via paypal
>to get to paid up for a year and a half after just a week.  It might
>not be hard, even with this bunch to get virtual server money.
>For OpenVZ on Quantact.com servers you'd need to budget $30/month
>for the level of RAM needed to run mailman.  These prices might even
>drop some as things progress, since some web hosters, (Network Solns),
>with canned web-app packages (not root accounts), now run at $11/month.
>
>I'm good for $20 for server support -- I expect that to go for
>a years worth after asking the rest of the people that care to contribute.
>
>So now the question is "Who else will pledge money?".
>
>John

I am just a lurker generally, but I think Ales has done a good job those
times when I grabbed the next 'generation' of this stuff, it seems to have a
minimum of the PIMA content most such projects seem to have an abundance of,
with SF being the most prominent in my limited experience as I have repo
write access there on one of the legacy computer OS projects & it loves to
forget my pw on a random basis.

If Ales & all vote to setup the NP thing, even if it still runs on Ales's
servers and a few bucks a month is needed to compensate Ales (or whoever
might succeed should something happen, then I am sure my card could get
$20/year lighter for as long as I'm around.  Just set it up and post the
donate site URL here.  However, since I'm both 75 and diabetic, I have no
warranty of being here tomorrow, but today I'm good.  Basically, somebody
needs to pay the energy bill in any event.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know
how bad I am.
		-- Samuel Johnson