Re: gEDA-user: Funding for server

>I find adverts generally annoying.

That's fair enough.

>There are better alternatives than advertisements to get the website
> funded.

Yes and no.  I'm certainly willing to chip in, and so is my company.
However, one-time contributions are things need to be negotiated or
processed on a continuing basis.  That takes person-effort that would
(IMHO) better be spent elsewhere on the project.  The reason that I
brought up advertising is that it is an established model for *continuous*
funding.

And, the slippery slope is already there. As a whole, gEDA is already
accepting advertising.  Donors through linuxfund are listed; that's
sponsorship, i.e. advertising.  And there are ads on the github and
sourceforge pages (only, the money goes elsewhere) and so on.

> ... to use some other EDA software?
> Sorry, but this road is slippery.

That's an unfair criticism.  Google ads allow keyword control specifically
to avoid showing ads for the competition.  Even if that were not the case,
the gEDA project could instead rent small text ads directly to some
gEDA-friendly advertisers, so that it could have full control over the
content.

-Windell