Re: gEDA-user: Fundung for server

Windell H. Oskay wrote:

> Any reason not to consider a few ads as a long-term solution? Ads are a
> well-known, generally acceptable, and scalable method of supporting simple
> web sites.

Please don't. I find adverts generally annoying. They try to draw my
attention to topics I don't want to be bothered with. I don't want to be
manipulated into knowing some logo or slogan.

Others have put these concerns in much better words than I can:
http://www.arachnoid.com/lutusp/consumerangst.html

> A few google text ads (for example) wouldn't be too obtrusive,

Yes they are. Google tries to analyze my internet behavior to send the most
effective ads to my screen. Sorry, but I'd gladly decline such a service.

> and would probably generate more than enough funding per month

Did I mention, that the price for web space dropped significantly in recent
years? There are better alternatives than advertisements to get the website
funded.

> -- lots of companies
> advertise about PCB services, and people learning about gEDA would be
> inclined to be receptive.

... to use some other EDA software?
Sorry, but this road is slippery.

---<(kaimartin)>---