Re: gEDA-user: Cygwin still supported?

Alberto wrote:

I currently use gEDA with Cygwin, it works perfectly. I even created a package and submitted it to Cygwin-apps to be included in the main list but so far it hasn't been accepted. You can dowload it manually at: http://geda.seul.org/devel/cygwin/1.6.x/1.6.1/

Got it. Downloaded geda-gaf-1.6.1-1.tar.bz2 and setup.hint to ../cygwin/geda/geda-gaf/
Also put the setup.ini file at ../cygwin/geda/  Note: this file has a long cryptic name ending in .bin, which I tried to rename as setup.ini.  This failed, so I left the filename as is.

Create a directory of choice, copy the attached setup.ini in that, and put geda-gaf-1.6.1-1.tar.bz2 and setup.hint in a subdirectory named geda-gaf. Now execute cygwin setup and choose to install packets from the local directory where you put setup.ini. You should find gEDA as the only item in the list of packages and install it.

The install finished without errors, and I see the geda hierarchy at /home/User/geda as expected.  However, we still seem to have missing Cygwin packages!  Looks like maybe gtk** is missing.

$ gschem
<gschem:1036>: Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
$ startx
bash: startx: command not found

There was no indication of missing dependencies from setup.exe.

I'll try VirtualBox this weekend.

-- Dave