gEDA-user: Odd behavior with gschem

I'm running the default gschem 1.6.? that comes with Ubuntu 9.10. I went in to duplicate a symbol (highlight, copy, paste) and it worked a few times (3 or 4 or 5). Then it stopped working. I could highlight and copy, but the paste selection under edit was greyed out. Am I doing something wrong? Did I fill a buffer? I could save my work and exit and come back in and continue, but eventually the paste would become unavailable again.

Thanks,
Jim.