Re: gEDA-user: Odd behavior with gschem

Peter Clifton wrote:
On Fri, 2010-03-26 at 06:24 -0400, Jim wrote:
I'm running the default gschem 1.6.? that comes with Ubuntu 9.10. I went in to duplicate a symbol (highlight, copy, paste) and it worked a few times (3 or 4 or 5). Then it stopped working. I could highlight and copy, but the paste selection under edit was greyed out. Am I doing something wrong? Did I fill a buffer? I could save my work and exit and come back in and continue, but eventually the paste would become unavailable again.

That is very strange. Although with Ubuntu 9.10, I think your gschem
version is likely to be 1.4.3 (checked on packages.ubuntu.com), and that
isn't a supported version any more.

This said, I'm still interested to know why the problem you've seen is
occurring, as the 1.4.x buffer code is still used in the 1.6.x series.

gschem 1.6.x now uses the clipboard for copy-paste - meaning you can now
transfer schematic elements between gschem windows from different gschem
processes. It also means that "paste" won't work once you've copied
something different somewhere else, but I don't think this is what
you're seeing.

Can you detail some exact steps to reproduce the issue, or is it more
random?

OK, not random. About says 1.6.1.20100214.

Put a symbol on a schematic. Click away from the symbol and then click to select. Go to the Edit/copy menu. Then click on Edit/paste. Left click somewhere. The part is duplicated. Now repeat. Select nothing then select on of the two parts on the page. Edit/copy. The Edit/paste is now greyed out on my system and I cannot find a way of getting it to come back.

The right click Copy seems to work differently, there is no paste option, but I discovered that if you left click the symbol appears and can be dragged. It doesn't seem to have the limit the Edit menu has. I must say I've never used a GUI where the top menu and the right click menus work differently at least with respect to the copy/paste functions. Not to say this isn't a nice feature (right click) but I found it quite by accident.

Thanks,
Jim.