Re: gEDA-user: Google Summer of Code 2011

On Mar 5, 2011, at 5:55 AM, John Griessen <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 03/02/2011 06:49 AM, Stefan Tauner wrote:
>> my idea is some combination of the existing propsals:
>> - Gschem parts manager or parts database (glue)
>> - IPC Footprint Calculator (pcb)
>> and my own idea: a stand-alone pcb footprint editor.
>
> A footprint calculator that uses IPC guidelines plus an editor
> as a standalone would be great!
>
> John
> --
> Ecosensory   Austin TX

My thoughts on this were to have an intermediary format meant to be open.  I thought basing it on svg with layers defined to be each layer in a layout.

This way the svg footprint has some major benefits.  Mostly a pre defined standard.
Svg with some attributes added.
Viewable directly in modern web browsers.
Raw svg editors exist. Such as inkscape.
More folks would be willing to contribute to an open non tool centric footprint.
Converters can be made to and from other formats for exchange,

Steve