Re: gEDA-user: Google Summer of Code 2011

On Wed, 02 Mar 2011 01:37:05 +0100
Kai-Martin Knaak <kmk@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Projects galore:
> http://geda.seul.org/wiki/gsoc2010_projects
>
> The projects for gaf, gschem and pcb have even been labled with the
> supposed difficulty.
>
> Two caveats: Google has a tendency to focus on projects that
> aim in direction of some of their strategic goals. Unfortunately,
> electronic hardware does not fit. So it has hot been accepted to GSoC
> in 2010. The other caveat: Don't choose an overly ambitious project,
> even if it is as cool as liquid nitrogen. Ask Anthony Blake for the
> reason...

well we can't do anything about google's tendency, but write a
convincing application i guess. i'm quite ambitious usually, but i know
what i can do and what i can not. and i usually finish something, if i
start and think the outcome will be useful (well... usually... and it
may take a while... or two :) and having a deadline tends to help me a
lot to finish a project, so i think this is a advantage of gsoc instead
of contributing the "normal" foss way.

the existing proposals i find interesting can be divided in two parts:
stand-alone projects and modifications of existing applications.
since i was only involved in hacking around gerbv (and there only on
the gui layer), i think it would make more sense to try a stand-alone
thingy.
to sustain motivation i would be glade if the final product would
scratch my own itch.
my idea is some combination of the existing propsals:
- Gschem parts manager or parts database (glue)
- IPC Footprint Calculator (pcb)
and my own idea: a stand-alone pcb footprint editor.
one of the most boring and hideous things when creating a new layout is
creating new footprints imho. using metric suffixes in pcb's .fp files
helps, but it is still far from AWESOME :) editing is a pita too (due
to the single reference point).

creating a "Gerber to .pcb file exporter" (gerbv section of the
proposals) could be interesting too. i don't need it but i can see its
usefulness. the question is how often is this needed/requested?

adding drc stuff to gerbv sounds also interesting although i'm not sure
how feasable.

i'm also thinking about applying for a gsoc project for etherboot or
coreboot. that's not a threat, i just want to be overt. :)