Re: gEDA-user: Google Summer of Code 2011

Am 02.03.2011 um 05:40 schrieb Anthony Blake:

Well if you want to do an ambitious project, you have to commit long term to the project, and I didn't do that.but Kai-Martin's attitude is a good example of why I'm no longer a gEDA developer.

Kai-Martin: As well as using me as a counter-example, could you provide some good examples of the sorts of projects you would like to see?

Well, I'm not Kai-Martin, but these two sentences ring a bell here. If I unterstand you correctly you feel disencouraged, because some people tried to cut your project ideas into a realistic frame - _their_ frame - except of letting you hack away on gEDA for the year 2030.

Yes, I can understand such frustration. It's a major challenge to be attractive for people with new ideas and - more important - get new things rolling on one side, while keeping existing stuff in a usable state. For example, you'll never get something into the repositories which cuts away some functionality with the promise to provide an alternative solution later. If you remove even tiny bits, undoublty somebody cries out loudly "I use that all the time and can't live without it". Best example: gEDA's three different footprint formats (lib, newlib with mil, newlib with 1/100 mil).

One plan would be to build a derivative from scratch. A fork or a rewrite. Be assured: _that_ is a lot of work. You'll have to be a lot better than the established counterpart, have to reach a similar level of maturity and even then, people will change over only slowly.

The IMHO much more promising plan to deal with this situation, which is very common in matured software suites, is to lay out a future plan. Tell the people what they can reach and why dropping this or that doesn't limit them, but will make them faster, more productive. Lay them out a transition plan, like keeping read-only functionality for the old format. That's how Windows and Mac OS X are done, and both are successful.

Then, follow this plan in achievable steps. Only working stuff matters. Get the bricks of your bright plan built. Once you do smaller steps successfully, people will start to trust you. Drum up marketing for your shiny new bricks, because even the most brilliant piece of code will go unnoticed if nobody tries it. Even if you don't want to be committed to the project long term, you'll feel more satisfied with a few new bricks in place, instead of having worked half a year on a shiny new picture, which is damned to collect dust on some rarely visited web site.

Ouch. Now I've probably confirmed all your received fun-stoppers. Biting through some granite can be even more fun, if you see the success afterwards.

Cheers,
Markus

Dipl. Ing. (FH) Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/